1) How does Isabel’s precarious childhood influence her choices later in life? What motivates her? As a young adult, does Isabel fear a relationship with Aidan because of who he is, or because of who she is?
2) How does Eric influence her life, before and after his marriage breaks up? What do you think might have happened if a younger Isabel had opened the letters from him instead of burning them?
3) What is it about Isabel that Aidan finds so secure and endearing? Do you see any similarities between Anne and Isabel in that regard? Do you see Isabel and Aidan as perfect soul mates or an awkward match?
4) Isabel makes a huge decision when Fitz Landrey blackmails her. Do you think she is solely influenced by Fitz, or do you think there is underlying motivation?
5) A prevalent theme throughout the book that indifference, not hate, is the opposite of love. What characters are impacted by this idea? Did Carrie ever learn this? How did the concept influence Isabel and the people who are important to her?
6) Do you feel that any of Carrie’s actions were justified? Is it possible for a person to be so brokenhearted they are driven to hateful actions? Does that person ever deserve empathy? Were you surprised that Carrie was the person who shot Rick Stanton?
7) How is Aidan shaped by the absence of his father? What would have become of Aidan had he not pursued his destiny and stayed in Catswallow?
8) How do Mary Louise and Tanya’s presence in the novel influence Isabel? Could co-workers influence your life that much? Would Isabel have acted differently without them?
9) Why do you think the author set the story half in the present and half in the past? Did this give you a greater understanding of the characters?
10) Where would Aidan have ended up without Isabel? Ultimately, as a person, did Aidan’s small town past influence him more, or was he mostly affected by his tremendous success?
11) Do you feel Isabel was justified in choosing Aidan over Nate? Did she treat Nate fairly?
12) Do you think Isabel will adapt to Aidan’s rock and roll life?